Are you living with chronic knee pain or struggling to keep up with your daily activities due to knee issues? If so, you may be considering a total knee replacement. This surgical procedure is an increasingly popular option for those suffering from severe degenerative joint diseases such as arthritis, ligament tears, and more.
To learn more about this procedure, we will provide an overview of total knee replacement and how it can help improve the quality of life for those experiencing chronic knee pain.
Understanding Total Knee Replacement Procedure
Total knee replacement (TKR) is a surgical procedure that can help reduce pain and improve mobility in people with severe arthritis of the knee. During TKR, damaged cartilage and bone are removed from the joint’s surface and replaced with metal or plastic components. These implants act as artificial joints to lessen pain and improve function. You may be eligible for partial or total knee surgery, depending on your condition.
Conditions that need TKR surgery
Total knee replacement is generally recommended when the damage done to the knee joint is so severe that there is no other option. Commonly, this kind of damage results from conditions such as osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.
- Osteoarthritis damages the cartilage surrounding a person’s joints, leading to painful inflammation and discomfort.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, on the other hand, affects multiple parts of a person’s body due to an overactive immune system attacking affected areas.
In both cases, total knee replacement surgery may be necessary for a patient to improve mobility and reduce pain.
Moreover, ligament injuries often happen due to sports-related activities or accidents – and they can weaken or tear the ligaments that hold your bones together. When these conditions aren’t treated immediately, TKR surgery may be necessary to restore joint function.
If you believe your condition requires this type of surgery, it’s important to talk to your doctor about whether or not you are a suitable candidate. Your doctor can provide you with more information about the procedure and answer any questions you may have.
Benefits of Total Knee Replacement
In addition to reducing pain, there are several other benefits of TKR surgery.
- Increase in activity level: By replacing the damaged portions of the joint, your doctor can help restore the full range of motion and strength to your affected leg. This means you’ll be able to engage in activities you could not do before, such as walking, running, or playing a sport.
- Improved stability and balance: Many patients feel more confident standing and moving around after the surgery. By replacing the damaged joint with a new, artificial one, your doctor can give you back your stability through better alignment of the bones and a reduced risk of dislocating the joint.
- Improved quality of life: The relief from pain that comes with the procedure can be profound, allowing you to once again enjoy activities such as gardening or shopping without worrying about soreness or discomfort
Total knee replacement at OASIS Hospital
Total knee replacement is an option for individuals dealing with significant pain and limited mobility due to arthritis and other ligament-related conditions. The procedure has tremendous potential to improve quality of life and greatly reduce pain levels when done correctly at an experienced healthcare provider like OASIS Hospital.
If you need to learn more about total knee replacement or want to proceed with the surgery, schedule a consultation with one of our physicians today!