Do you suffer from chronic neck pain due to a herniated or degenerative disc in your spine? Is the pain significantly affecting your daily functioning and interfering with your quality of life? If so, anterior cervical discectomy and fusion – also known as ACDF – may be an ideal solution for resolving your neck problems.
At OASIS Hospital, we specialize in helping our patients find relief from their discomfort through our minimally invasive approach to ACDF surgery. Read on to see how this procedure can help alleviate spinal pressure, reduce the risk of further deterioration, and get you back to living a full life!
What is Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF)?
Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) is a surgical procedure to relieve nerve root or spinal cord pressure caused by other neck conditions. During the procedure, the injured disc in your vertebrae is removed and may be replaced with an artifical disc, cage or bone graft.
Then, metal plates and screws are used to fuse the vertebrae for stability. This helps restore alignment in your neck area and relieves pain over time.
Common conditions requiring ACDF surgery
Common conditions treated with ACDF surgery include:
- Cervical herniated discs: A herniated disc is a condition in which the soft gel-like material between two bones (vertebrae) of the spine protrudes and compresses nerves.
- Cervical spondylosis: Cervical spondylosis occurs when age-related wear and tear damage causes degeneration of the spinal discs.
- Cervical stenosis: Cervical stenosis is a condition where the spinal canal narrows in the cervical spine, which can cause pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It’s most commonly caused by degenerative changes in the spine, such as arthritis.
In such cases, an ACDF procedure may be recommended by a doctor to reduce nerve pressure and alleviate symptoms.
Advantages of ACDF for treating pain
Since its introduction, ACDF has been a reliable surgical option for treating neck and back pain. Here are some of its advantages:
- The main advantage of ACDF is that it can provide immediate relief from painful symptoms. Most people experience significant improvement within days or weeks of their surgery. This means they can return to their daily activities quicker and with less discomfort.
- Another benefit of ACDF is that it’s minimally invasive, meaning there are fewer risks associated with the procedure. This includes minimized blood loss, reduced risk of infection, and shorter recovery times compared to other spinal fusion surgeries.
- In addition, ACDF helps to preserve the natural curvature of the spine and supports healthy spinal alignment. This can help reduce stress on the discs, nerves, and joints in the neck and back, resulting in improved mobility and fewer pain episodes.
Trust the experts in Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion
The goal of the ACDF procedure is to alleviate pain and loss of function while improving symptoms. OASIS Hospital specializes in this procedure and has a team of experienced professionals dedicated to ensuring that each patient receives the highest quality of care.
Moreover, our physicians offer exceptional services for various spine conditions. With their help, our patients can feel comfortable knowing they are in the best hands possible.
If you or someone you know is living with neck pain or other symptoms brought on by spinal degeneration, schedule a consultation with one of our prestigious physicians today. With OASIS’s world-class medical providers and technologically advanced treatments, you will be able to get the relief you need in no time.