Are you concerned that you may need the services of an orthopedic specialist? Orthopedics is the study and treatment of musculoskeletal disorders— everything from bones and joints to muscles and tendons.
The good news is that most people can manage illness, pain, and ailments without surgery. Nevertheless, it is critical to consult a physician for your pain if it interferes with your day-to-day activity, you suspect an injury, or it’s not healing. Here’s an overview of what orthopedic specialists perform and how they may help you get back on track.
What is an orthopedic specialist?
An orthopedic specialist is a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating injuries and conditions of the musculoskeletal system, which includes bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and nerves. There is orthopedics specializing in certain areas of the body like hip and knee, foot and ankle, shoulder and elbow, hand or spine. You may need to see an orthopedic specialist for treatment if you are experiencing pain or discomfort in any of these areas.
What do orthopedic specialists treat?
Orthopedic specialists can help with arthritis, back pain, scoliosis, and sports injuries. Many orthopedic specialists are also surgeons. The following are some of the common conditions treated by orthopedic specialists:
- Club foot, bow legs, and hip dysplasia
- Orthopedic trauma
- Limb lengthening
- Sports injuries
- Back pain ruptured disks, and spinal stenosis
- Bone tumors
- Carpal tunnel, hand arthritis, and hand injuries
- Achilles tendon injuries, bunions, and foot and ankle injuries
When should you see an orthopedic specialist
You may need to see an orthopedic specialist if you have a musculoskeletal system problem causing pain or discomfort. You may also need to see an orthopedic specialist if you have had an injury, such as a sports or car injury, and need treatment.
What to expect during an appointment with an orthopedic specialist
Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history during your appointment. They will also do a physical exam. You may need to have X-rays or other tests to diagnose your condition. Once your condition is diagnosed, your doctor will develop a treatment plan. It may include medication, physical therapy, or surgery.
What are the benefits of seeing an orthopedic specialist?
Orthopedic specialists are experts in diagnosing and treating problems with the musculoskeletal system. They can help relieve pain and improve function. Orthopedic specialists can also prevent or treat injuries. Here are the benefits of visiting an orthopedic specialist:
- You will receive an accurate diagnosis. Orthopedic specialists will ask about your symptoms and medical history and do a physical examination. You may need to have X-rays or other tests to diagnose your condition. Accurate diagnosis is essential because it allows for proper treatment.
- You will receive an individualized treatment plan. After your orthopedic specialist diagnoses your condition, they will provide you with a treatment plan based on your condition’s severity and goals. Individualized treatment plans are essential because they increase the chances of success. Treatment plans that are not individualized may not be effective.
We specialize in helping you get back to your life
We have highly trained doctors on our team with a great deal of experience with orthopedic surgery. At OASIS Hospital, our dedicated team of experts is always ready to help you get back to living your life without pain. Contact one of our physicians for more information or to schedule an appointment today!