At some point in everybody’s lives, injuries may occur. Some are mild, while some may require visiting the doctor. Going to an orthopedic specialist should be your priority if the harm is in your musculoskeletal system. They specialize in detecting and treating problems with a person’s ligaments, joints, tendons, bones, muscles, and other connective tissues.
Several problems can happen with your musculoskeletal system. One example is pain from accidents, which may affect how you move. The problem can become much more prominent if you fail to address these issues. Fortunately, an orthopedic doctor offers solutions to improve your quality of life. Here are some benefits that you’ll encounter after seeing one.
Different Treatments for Your Orthopedic Conditions
Before prescribing you a treatment plan, orthopedic doctors will first evaluate your condition and then advise either surgical or non-surgical treatments after determining the underlying cause of the issue.
Non-surgical treatments mean you won’t have to have surgery to correct the problem. These may include other modalities.
- Medication: The doctor can prescribe you anti-inflammatory medicines for pain.
- Orthotics: Medical devices, such as braces, custom foot inserts, and splints that can improve mobilization and give added support, are provided under orthotics.
- Injections: Depending on your condition, injections are available to block the pain signals from reaching the brain.
- Physical Therapy: Massage therapy, strengthening exercise, heat and cold therapy, and electrical stimulation therapy are available to ease pain, restore function, and boost healing.
- Hand Therapy: As the name suggests, exercises and other modalities can restore hand function.
Minimally Invasive Procedures
Another treatment that an orthopedic doctor may offer is minimally invasive surgery, primarily chosen to treat torn ligaments, damaged tendons, and bone fractures. The orthopedic doctor will make a tiny incision to get inside the affected area without necessarily cutting through the large muscles.
- Arthroplasty: Arthroplasty is a surgical procedure where orthopedic doctors replace or repair joints. It’s done to ease pain and increase your range of motion.
- Arthroscopy: Arthroscopy is another minimally invasive procedure for diagnosing and treating joint problems.
After visiting the physician, they will discuss the best treatment options for the issue you're experiencing. These are solutions that can reduce your pain and improve your movements and functions.
Benefits of Consulting an Orthopedic Specialist
An orthopedic specialist may be consulted for various reasons, but the primary benefit is that they can diagnose and treat injuries or conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system. Compared to general practitioners, they have extensive experience and training in this area and are more familiar with the intricacies of musculoskeletal disorders.
Orthopedic doctors will also provide personalized treatment plans based on their diagnosis of your condition. For example, if you are suffering from a condition like arthritis, the specialist may suggest medications, physical therapy, or even surgery to relieve your pain and improve mobility.
Finally, they can advise preventing future injuries or conditions from developing, such as proper diet, exercise, and lifestyle modifications that may lessen the risk of further issues with bones, muscles, and joints.
Find Orthopedic Doctors that will Improve Your Quality of Life
If you’re experiencing any pain in your musculoskeletal system, it’s best to consult a physician. They are professionals who do tests to ensure that they find the cause of the pain or discomfort.
At Oasis Hospital, we have a team of physicians that specializes in orthopedics. Schedule a consultation with one of our healthcare providers today to diagnose the problem and provide immediate treatment.